Many people ask ‘What’s the big deal with the lionfish invasion?’ If the lionfish is not a problem in the Pacific ocean then why is it a problem in the Atlantic? The answer is that the Pacific has had many thousands of years to reach stabilization with the rest of the marine life and the lionfish population has equalized. There are several factors, such as the lionfish breeding year round in the Caribbean versus seasonal breeding in the Pacific, as well as the lack of natural predators, the lionfish’s broad diet and habitat, and the lionfish possessing a method of hunting unlike other Atlantic species. This has created a ‘perfect storm’ of lionfish population explosion which has resulted in the lionfish crowding out the native species in sensitive breeding grounds. It’s possible, and likely, that eventually the environment will adapt and control the lionfish population growth but that hasn’t happened yet. We won’t ever eliminate the lionfish, they are too well established, are not easily caught on hook and line, and live in areas divers are not able to access. However, we can and must control the lionfish in the shallow areas where we frequently dive and where our native fish have their nurseries. Scientific studies have shown that divers spearfishing the lionfish on a regular basis are very effective at controlling the population in those places.
The population of any invasive species follows a common predictable trajectory including a lag phase, followed by a period of population explosion, an invasion peak, and then finally equilibrium. We are currently still in the phase of exploding population and exponential growth. Until we can reach equilibrium we risk losing important habitat and bio-diversity of marine life to the invasive predator lionfish.
- Best Lionfish Polespears
- Zookeepers & lionfish containers
- Package deals
- Lionfish Spear Tips
- Lionfish Slings
- Lionfish Speargun
- Lionfish Sting Treatment
- Lobster & Lionfish tools
- Bands, Gloves, Knives & Shears
- Lionfish t-shirts & gifts
- Dive accessories, sunscreen, etc
- Waterproof Flashlights, Cameras
- Lionfish Collection Nets
- Lionfish Jewelry
- Gift Certificates
- Lionfish Hunting Puncture Proof...
- Reusable hand warmer sting...
- Zookeeper Lionfish Containment...
- 30" fixed barbed paralyzer tip...
- Bandito breakdown lionfish travel...
- 14" Extra long stainless scissors...
- 3 Prong S.S. Trident Tip, 6mm
- S.S. Paralyzer tip w/barbs for...
- Foldspear, Folding pole spear with...
- Best Lionfish Hunting Puncture...
- Hunting Lionfish
- Lionfish facts
- Lionfish Facts & Information
- Lionfish FAQ's
- Lionfish on Wikipedia
- Lionfish Tracking Map
- Hunting Photos
- 2017 Lionfish derbies & tournaments
- Choosing a Lionfish Containment Unit
- Cleaning Lionfish
- Selecting Gear
- DAN Lionfish Safety
- CORE Foundation, USVI Lionfish control
- The lionfish sting
- Ending Non-native Destructive Species
- Places to spear lionfish in Caribbean