Fortunately more and more dive destinations are starting to open up lionfish hunting for tourists. Even places that have never allowed spearfishing in the past are finally realizing what a significant hazard to the marine environment the lionfish pose, and they are figuring out that allowing tourists to hunt lionfish in their waters is good for the reef and also good for business. Many divers prefer to spend their precious vacation dollars where they can also hunt lionfish while diving. If you also want to maximize your travel rewards while vacationing to dive or hunt lionfish, check out The Point Pirate for excellent travel rewards information.
Dive destinations where tourists are allowed to spear lionfish
For starters, don’t rule out Florida. We have great diving, no license required for an unlimited number of lionfish, and I’ve never heard of a dive business other than in Pennekamp Key Largo that won’t let you hunt lionfish. Pretty much every dive operator will allow it, although some like to see an 'Advanced' dive certification. As a courtesy, it's also always a good idea to bring your own small cooler with ice for storing your lionfish. We don't want the other guests to have to reach past your lionfish to get into the boat's cooler for other items.
Please help us keep this list updated by sending us a message here if you know of any other places that will allow tourists to hunt lionfish.
Akumal, Mexico- http://www.divewithnatalieandivan.com/index.html
Antigua & Barbuda-?
Aruba- Norman Arends, PADI Instructor, Bucho_420@yahoo.com 297-731-6336 https://www.facebook.com/ArubaUnderWaterHuntersAuwh
Bahamas- http://www.julietsailinganddiving.com/ (liveaboard dive boat departs Miami)
Bay Islands of Honduras
- Utila- http://www.utilacaysdiving.com/
- Roatan- http://www.roatanlionfishcompany.com Kelly Ash lionfish hunting trips
Belize- http://reefci.com/ Sapodilla Cays
- http://www.splashbelize.com/ Placencia
British Virgin Islands – Sorry, the BVI don't allow visitors to hunt lionfish
Cozumel, Mexico- http://triplesail.com/ Guided lionfish hunts
Cuba- Nothing to link to, but we understand you can lionfish hunt around the island.
Dominican Republic- http://scubafun.info/ contact John Sack
- http://divingdr.com/ Sharky's
Martinique- Sorry, the french islands don't allow tourists to hunt lionfish
Panama- http://www.goldenfrogscuba.com/ Rey Sanchez
- http://dive.com.pa/ Alvaro Silva
Puerto Rico- Fajardo http://www.divepuertorico.com/
- Vieques http://islanenascuba.com/
- Roberto Reyes (Freediving only) http://www.freediverspuertorico.com/
St. Kitts & Nevis- http://www.divestkitts.com/
St. Lucia- http://www.aadivers.org/about.html
St. Martin- Sorry, the french islands don't allow tourists to hunt lionfish
Trinidad & Tobago- http://divingintobago.com// Wild Turtle Scuba Club
- http://www.cocomotion.net/ Marlon Winter Roach
- http://www.tobagofrontierdivers.com/ Frontier Divers
- http://www.underseatobago.com/ Undersea Tobago
Turks & Caicos Islands – Sorry, the Turks & Caicos don't allow visitors to hunt lionfish
US Virgin Islands- http://www.corevi.org/invasive-lionfish.html
- Best Lionfish Polespears
- Zookeepers & lionfish containers
- Package deals
- Lionfish Spear Tips
- Lionfish Slings
- Lionfish Speargun
- Lionfish Sting Treatment
- Bands, Gloves, Knives & Shears
- Lionfish t-shirts & gifts
- Dive accessories, sunscreen, etc
- Waterproof Flashlights, Cameras
- Lionfish Jewelry
- Gift Certificates
- Zookeeper Lionfish Containment...
- Best Lionfish Hunting Puncture...
- Spear tip sharpener
- Lionfish Hunting Puncture Proof...
- Reusable hand warmer sting...
- 3 Prong S.S. Trident Tip, 6mm
- Handle for Zookeeper
- Foldspear, Folding pole spear with...
- Replacement Lionfish polespear...
- 6 Prong spring steel Lionfish...
- Hunting Lionfish
- Lionfish facts
- Lionfish Facts & Information
- Lionfish FAQ's
- Lionfish on Wikipedia
- Lionfish Tracking Map
- Hunting Photos
- 2017 Lionfish derbies & tournaments
- Choosing a Lionfish Containment Unit
- Cleaning Lionfish
- Selecting Gear
- DAN Lionfish Safety
- CORE Foundation, USVI Lionfish control
- The lionfish sting
- Ending Non-native Destructive Species
- Places to spear lionfish in Caribbean